August 7, 2020 – Beginning Monday, August 10, Old Pueblo Road will be closed for a project to repair the railroad crossing on Old Pueblo Rd. This project is a collaboration between El Paso County and BNSF Railway to mend tracks that have sunk a few inches and caused slowdowns just east of Interstate 25.
Road Closure Schedule:
- The project will begin with work at the crossing the evening of Monday, August 10 and continue through Wednesday, August 12.
Detours for Drivers & Motorists:
- During the closure on Old Pueblo Rd, vehicles can use the detour on Santa Fe Ave, Illinois Ave, and Main St.
Old Pueblo Road Closure Map Below:
Safety Tips for Drivers & Motorists:
- Reduce speed in work zone
- Watch for workers, traffic control, equipment, signs and barricades • Refrain from tailgating
- BNSF will extract the asphalt and concrete surrounding the tracks, remove and replace the track and railroad ties.
- BNSF will then install the crossing back to its original elevation.
- The El Paso County asphalt operations Contractor will take over after BNSF finishes its work.
- The Contracted crews will repave the road, mark, and stripe the pavement.
- The Contractor will also perform traffic control during the entire project.El Paso County and BNSF will monitor weather leading up to the project dates. If inclement weather impedes the project, the work would be rescheduled for later in August.